Welcome to the website of the Bristol Civil Service Table Tennis Club. We are part of the Civil Service Sports Club (CSSC), one of the largest sports organisations in the UK.
Our venue can fit four tables comfortably for matches and six for practice. We currently have about 50 members, with one Honorary member, our President – Ken Simmons.
After months of the club being closed we are returning to table tennis, with all the precautions that you would expect. Please see revised CSSC opening times here. Please study the information below concerning PRACTICE and MATCHES.
Latest club information (12 October 2020) from Terry Toghill, Club Chairman:
NO GUESTS ARE ALLOWED AND ONLY 2 PLAYERS PER TABLE, PER HOUR. Each player must have an Orange Table Tennis Membership card to play. No card = No play. (Cards will be issued to Table Tennis Club members only, by the bar staff on your first visit.)
BOOKING PROCEDURE (opens in a Word document)
CSSC CLUB PROCEDURE FOR PRACTICE
- A mask must be worn at all times when you are on CSSC club premises, except if you are seated or playing table tennis in the loft. (Wear a mask when you are not playing.)
- A social distance of 2 metres must be maintained between persons within the entire club.
- Use hand sanitiser on entering the club and wash your hands after using the toilet facilities. Wash your hands on leaving the club.
- Everyone MUST individually, and on every occasion, sign the register at the bar (for contact tracing if needed) and pay for your table hire.
- At some point in the near future the large overhead lights in the loft will be upgraded and token meters will be installed. Tokens will be issued when you pay for the table.
- Table hire costs are £3 per hour per person. This is to be paid at the bar. Cash or card.
- PLEASE NOTE: When you book a practice table you are agreeing to the guidance and rules shown in this message.
Guidelines and Conditions for Practice Sessions
- 2 players only per table i.e. only 1 training partner each. You cannot swop partners during your session.
- 3 table tennis tables are in use initially.
- At this time there will be no open practice days or evenings.
- A maximum of 6 players per hour will be allowed in the loft at one time except for bookings changeover when 2 metre social distancing must be maintained.
PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR MATCH GUIDANCE – THE SAME RULES APPLY TO PRACTICE
CSSC LOFT re-opened for Table Tennis MATCHES
The CSSC table tennis loft will be open for BDTTA League Matches on four tables (1,2, 5 & 6), with effect from Monday 19th October 2020 under certain controlled conditions which MUST be followed.
Failure to follow these rules and guidelines could result in a personal temporary / permanent ban, or even the loft closing again.
You must take responsibility for your own safety and ensure that you do not put anyone else at risk.
IMPORTANT. If you or any members of your household are showing coronavirus symptoms, have tested positive for coronavirus or are self-isolating, you must stay home and NOT use our facilities. If you test positive or are told to self-isolate after visiting the club, you MUST contact the club (tel. 0117 9514259) or Terry Toghill on 07505104454 for contact tracing purposes.
CSSC CLUB PROCEDURE
- You must wear a mask at all times when you are on CSSC club premises, except when you are seated or actually playing table tennis in the loft. This includes going to the toilet or bar.
- Scan the NHS Covid tracker QR code to the right of the entrance to the bar.
- A social distance of 2 metres must be maintained between persons within the entire club. This includes the loft area.
- Use hand sanitiser on entering the club and wash your hands after using the toilet facilities.
- All players in matches MUST sign the register in the loft (for contact tracing if needed).
- PLEASE NOTE: When you play a league match at the CSSC you are agreeing to the guidance and rules shown in this document.
Guidelines and Conditions.
It is essential that all players follow the guidance below to minimise the risk of a player contracting Covid 19 and the loft having to be closed down and any players who have come into contact with this person having to self-isolate.
LEAGUE GUIDANCE: NO SUPPORTERS OR GUESTS ARE ALLOWED TO ATTEND.
- ALL matches must be completed by 10pm. Unfinished games will be forfeited by the home team.
- Two tables are available for each match. Start using both tables immediately. You will need to score yourselves.
- Keep doors open at either end of the hall. Close them and clean the handles at 10pm.
- Open the skylight at the top of the stairwell and close it after the matches are completed.
- Each player must stay at one end of the match table only.
- BEFORE PLAYING a match, each player should clean the table at their end with the disinfectant spray and dry with the blue tissues provided.
- Latex gloves may be worn and must be discarded safely in the bins provided.
- Discard any used masks, tissues, bottles, or other rubbish in the bins provided.
- Hand sanitiser should be used before playing and whenever necessary.
- Wipe with disinfectant wipes all surfaces which you touch including door handles.
- Use one ball but wipe with disinfectant wipes occasionally.
- Players should ensure that they carry out appropriate warm up and cool down procedures as part of their table tennis sessions.
- Do not put kit such as towels, bottles, bat cases / bats, bags or anything else on the small tables used for disinfectant kit or on the chairs.
- Do not use spit to clean the ball or your bat; use disinfectant wipes.
- Do not breathe on the ball or your bat.
- Do not wipe your hand on the table.
- Do not have physical contact with handshaking or slapping hands,bumping fists etc.
- Do not share equipment.
- Do not move the barriers.
- Do not socialise with other players either before, during or after the match unless you observe the two metre social distance rule.
TABLE TENNIS ENGLAND POSTERS ARE DISPLAYED. PLEASE READ THEM and FOLLOW THE GUIDANCE GIVEN.
It is essential that all players follow the guidance above to minimise the risk of a player contracting Covid 19 and the loft having to be closed down and any players who have come into contact with this person having to self-isolate.
Hopefully if we all follow these guidelines the risks will be minimised as we start playing table tennis again. Please ring me if you have any questions or queries.
FINALLY: The CSSC club needs your financial support to keep going. Please consider buying any drinks, including drinks for upstairs, or goods from the bar, which closes at 10pm.
Terry Toghill Tel. 07505104454 09.10.2020
REMEMBER: NO OUTDOOR SHOES TO BE WORN IN THE TABLE TENNIS LOFT. A lot of time, money and effort has gone into laying the new floor in the table tennis loft and it is already being damaged by grit and dirt brought in on outdoor shoes. PLEASE remember not to wear your sports shoes for your journey to the club, and please inform opposition teams of this rule.
Click here for a message from Andy Elliott, Chairman of the Bristol & District Table Tennis Association.
Please email John Bedwell, our Club Secretary (email@example.com), if you are interested in joining the club and playing in the league in the future.
PLEASE LET JOHN KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IN THE 2020–2021 SEASON.
We are located on Filton Avenue, Horfield, Bristol BS7 0AT, just round the corner from Muller Road (the B4469), very close to the Bristol Rovers' football ground in North Bristol.
In normal times, open practice is on Sundays 19.00 to 22.00. Please see the Practice Nights tab above for more details.
Club/CSSC members can normally book the hall for table tennis during the daily opening hours of the premises or on any non-match evening at £8.00 per hour.
We have good free parking.
During the winter season, league matches are played on Tuesday through to Thursday so no individual practice is available on these days.
Go to the Coaching tab at the top of the page to see details of coaching at the club for details, but there is no coaching available while the club is closed.
Download the July 2019 newsletter here.